July 19, 2007

R.I.P. Pooh-Bear

Monday was a very sad day. Our neighbor's Sharpei has been deteriorating (jeez that word looks silly) and finally reached a point where she made the difficult decision to have him put down. So I rushed home from work, so W wouldn't be helping her lift him, and to help comfort her. Lemme tell ya. The vet was awesome, especially considering poor Pooh-Bear had no veins left for easy injection of the stuff. So they sedated him, and then did intrathecal injections. Yes, that was injectionS. The first didn't stop his heart, so they did another. That didn't work, either, so they had to do a third. The vet was flabbergasted, never seen a dog take more than one, especially done intrathecal. It was brutal. Lots of tears, between W, me and A. After that we headed to her other house (the new one they'll be moving to eventually, meaning she won't be my awesome neighbor anymore!) for burial. W and I dug and dug and dug and dug. South Carolina ground isn't easy to bury stuff. Top layer is fine, but after a few inches, it's hard clay and very heavy. We finished that up finally, had some more tears and headed home to clean up, because we were sweaty, filthy messes. I STILL have dirt under my nails I can't get out completely.

More to come, want Pooh to have his own post.

No comments: