April 16, 2008

RANT AHEAD, consider yourself warned

Rant the first: Explain to me how it's good medicine to have a patient (and his wife) sitting in a tiny room with a hospital bed and a tv and a sink for NINE HOURS while waiting for his surgery? I had to BEG permission to give him a pain pill. Keep in mind, he'd not had anything to eat or drink since midnite. Once noon hit, I was pissed. Why should we show up at 7 am, meaning we had to get up at 5:00 in order to get on the road in time, when they didn't even take him to the OR Holding area until 4:00 pm. That is NOT a typo. We went from the little holding room downstairs, to the slightly larger holding room upstairs NINE HOURS after we checked in. NINE FUCKING HOURS PEOPLE. Then we waited another two hours before they took him to the OR. No other profession can get away with this, and we are powerless to stop it. So help me, for this next surgery, if they tell us to show at 5 am and we might show up at noon. I cannot handle another day of watching him writhe in pain because he can't have his meds, not to mention no food or drink for that long.

Rant the second: I pay my homeowners insurance people HOW MUCH money a year for them to say, oh, sorry that water damage isn't covered. WTF?!?!?! I have no idea how much this repair is going to cost but it's not going to be cheap. The entire floor in the bathroom needs torn up, at least two walls need fixed probably replaced, we need a new shower, then tile or something for the floor. Also, part of my closet will need fixed, floor and wall. We're screwed. All night I was trying to stay positive but as we uncovered more and more damage and mold and muck my spirits just sank. There's no telling how long the water was getting where it shouldn't be. But it's been long enough to destroy the place.

The only way I can pay for this is with a credit card, and we'd sworn off them to get ourselves out of debt. We're SOOOO close to being done with cards and now this. The spare bathroom shower sucks ass, no wonder my inlaws always want to use mine. But now *I* have to use it and man, it was a miserable shower this morning.

Did I mention the timing really blows? W is having ANOTHER SURGERY as soon as possible, and I have a completely ripped up bathroom. He had a ton of running around planned for today anyway, picking up prescriptions at the doc and then getting them filled, trying to get a copy of Bubba's birth certificate (another nightmare, we can't find it, and we HAVE TO HAVE IT for preschool registration stuff. We've plowed through the safe THREE TIMES, gone through every other place we store papers and NOTHING.)

But NOW, he has to find repair stuff, still get the scripts filled and try to find someone to come and look at this stuff and get an estimate that won't make my heart stop cold. All the while dealing with a kid who's decided he doesn't need to do what we tell him to do, and heaven forbid we tell him not to do something.

Blah. Sorry y'all. I'm trying to keep positive, but I've been so incredibly stressed out and on the brink of a breakdown to begin with and now all this hits. Last week was hard enough with all the problems with W, this is just too much. It's hard to enjoy the roses when you keep getting gouged by the thorns. The littlest thing now has me about in tears.

It didn't help that someone here at work that I turned to for support shot me down with, "you are so blessed, consider yourself lucky that you have xxx and yyy." Umm. I come to you to commiserate and gripe and that's all you got? Gee thanks, but forgive me if I'm not gonna be back around anytime soon. How hard would it have been for her to say, yeah that does suck, I'm so sorry, can I do anything? (this has been an ongoing thing with her, so I guess I should have learned by now.) Of course I know I'm blessed with my child, my health, all of that. Whatever. Am I off base for expecting support from a 'friend' instead of whatever you want to call it that she did give me? I mean, there's always trying to see the good in a situation, like, at least the house didn't burn down, blah blah blah. But this came across more as dismissive of my anger at the situation. Maybe that is what I've been trying to say. She was dismissive and it hurt my feelings. I don't know. Y'all can tell me if I'm making any sense or not.

I'll be out of touch a while since it's likely surgery will be tomorrow or Friday. Just pray that it all goes well and I soon have a nice new bathroom that isn't going to bankrupt me. I don't even want super fancy at all. I just want it to WORK!

2 comments:

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

OMG I am so sorry. I hate money problems and credit cards are evil. I can't believe that they made you wait that long. They would have kicked me out because of all the potty mouth language I would have used on them. I can't believe that your insurance wont cover that. I could see not covering flood damage but that just sucks. Hopefully things start looking up for you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, if there was a slow leak going on long enough for mold to grow, an insurance company would consider it a failure on your part to maintain your house, and that is why it is not covered.